Get the 5-minute newsletter keeping thousands of founders in the loop.
Gday Mates! Here's what we have for you today:
Initial public offerings or IPOs 📈 are a great way for investors to make a big profit in a short time yielding investors, on average, about 40% returns in the first 3 months. 💸 For the companies, after completing the funding stage, IPOs can be a great way for them to gain exposure to the open market, attract more capital, improve liquidity, and help a company grow. 🚀🚀🚀
Well, there were only 66 IPOs in the USA in 2022 - down nearly 90% 📉 during the same period in 2021, particularly in the tech space where there have been massive layoffs which delayed some of the most anticipated IP0s - TikTok, Reddit, and Epic Games. Will these companies pull the trigger in 2023? Let's look at the current status.
TikTok - This social media behemoth was valued around $300 billion, or $170/share, in a PE secondary market (through its parent company BytdDance Ltd), from an estimate $400 billion last year. 😎 TikTok, the Chinese video-based company (which was almost acquired by Microsoft) looks set to give investors a chance to reconsider the question of whether it is ripe for an IPO.🕺
Many will be asking after looking at falling user numbers at Facebook and Twitter 📉, not to mention the ultimate downfall of dozens of other social media companies in the decade before. 👎
Although TikTok will not be listed on an American exchange due to the ongoing political standoff between the United States 🇺🇸 and China 🇨🇳, TikTok will most probably list on the Shanghai or Hong Kong exchanges at some stage in 2023. ⛩
The company announced that it surpassed 3 billion downloads, and in China alone, it has 600 million active daily users, but stands in the middle of a cross border conflict over the company's use of US user data, as well as Chinese government's own restrictions. ❌ It is caught in the middle, so does it have the luxury of waiting it out the political drama 🎭 considering how other social media companies have declined over the last several? What's clear is that major investors worldwide are closely watching a potential listing this year. 👀
Reddit - The "front page of the Internet," Reddit has been contemplating an IPO for the last two years. In fact, Reddit filed its intention to hold an IPO in late 2021, without mentioning a date, a valuation of $15 billion. 🤯 For the next year or so, speculation has been mounting about when that data might fall, and whether 2023 is the year to go public. While Reddit has massive daily active users (DAU) (over 50 million), it is counting on digital advertising rebounding that declined the last couple of years. 📈
Offering a format that is more similar to Twitter than other social media platforms, Reddit may even benefit from Twitter going private. 🙌 The listing price might be significantly lower than it was a year ago, but the company seeks to match the previous $15 billion valuation. 🚀
Epic Games - The maker of Fortnite, the online video game with an estimated 400 million users, has raised $4.4 billion since its founding in 1991 🤩, with its latest raise in 2020 valuing it at $28 billion. Because investors video games, which is rapidly growing industry, it may bring a potential 2023 IPO listing price of closer to $30 billion. 🚀
The company’s backers include Kleiner Perkins, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Smash Ventures, Disney Accelerator, and Sony. Epic Games’ history of developing popular video games will likely lead to a successful IPO, even in the current climate. The venture backed investors may influence an IPO sooner so they can cash out of their positions. 💵 📈
TODAY'S EDITION IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY
Sourcing Deals Just Got Easier...
Are you an acquirer or investor looking for great deals? Look no further...
DealMaven has flipped the script on business acquisitions, allowing investors and acquirers to receive inbound deal flow and get your eyes on more qualified and vetted deals.
Forget sifting through endless broker responses - let your strengths be known and sellers will come straight to you!
Join thousands of other vetted buyers sourcing deals with DealMaven today.
Niche Gaming Content Website ($45,000)- The gaming focused content company was founded 1.5 years ago and generates $1500/month in AdSense revenue (Flippa)
Retail Gaming Store ($500,000)- This business buys, sells, trades, rents & maintains video games & game consoles. This franchise is part of the international community of Play N Trade - with locations in Egypt, Panama US & Canada. (Businessforsale.com)
Social Media Marketing Company ($1,000,000)- This fast growing social media marketing company is hyper focused, with high level influencers, celebrities and established businesses, to drive large scale influence and growth of global brands. (BizBuySell)
Product licensing is one of the best ways for startups to bring their ideas to life and real money. 💵Entrepreneurs simply rent, or license, their ideas💡to a company, which manufactures and distributes the product quickly and easily. This process tends to be faster, cheaper, and more lucrative than other options.
(1) You don't have the funding or time to start or operate your own company. 😞
(2) You need help getting your product to a retail or targeted market. 📲
(3) You developed a collaborative relationship with an industry partner. 🤝
(4) You want to retain ownership of the intellectual property as your company grows. 💡
(1) Create the product and develop a business plan 🔨 📄
(2) Do a patent search - Use the USPTO's online database to make sure your idea isn’t already protected. 🧐
(3) File the patent application - you can file a provisional application if haven’t finished the product, and you'll work with a patent examiner to complete the process. 🤓
(4) Search of licensees - identify potential licensees in your market through marketing and social media outreach. 🧐
(5) Sign a licensing deal - make sure it has a “granting of rights,” which defines what you’re transferring to the licensees, the “license fee” which is the amount paid at signing, the “royalty” that are normally paid quarterly, and the licensee’s/licensor’s obligations 📄
(6) Collect royalties 💰💰💰
"Turnkey" Medical Screening Company For Sale - an established medical screening company is looking for a buyer to take over its streamlined operation with long-term customer relationships. It specializes in performing onsite medical screening (heart disease, vascular disease, cancer, and COVID) for a wide variety of companies. Preventive healthcare is a rapidly growing industry and this onsite screening provides a "win-win" proposition for any company looking to include an additional benefit for its employees at a reasonable cost.
That's a wrap for today. Go get that booty & see ya (DATE OF NEXT NEWSLETTER)! If you want more, be sure to follow our Twitter (@DealMavenio)
Reply to this email with your contact info and we’ll get in touch.
When you’re ready, here are some ways we can help you:
1. Get access to private deal flow, insights and playbooks on acquisition trends that you can implement in a weekend, and a community who can help you make deals happen.
2. Work closely with us to sell your business. Let us do the hard work for you while you focus on growing your business.
3. Done for you acquisitions? That's right we are looking to bring on 5 new clients this month where we will guarantee you a media acquisition in the next 90 days. If you're interested click here and schedule a call to see if it's a good fit.
5-minute newsletter keeping thousands of entrepreneurs in the loop.